Fort Casey Introduction
Fort Casey - Introduction
Fort Casey Batterie Worth
Fort Casey - Battery Worth 1
Fort Casey - Battery Worth 2
Fort Casey Batterie Moore
Fort Casey - battery Moore
Fort Casey Batterie Kingsbury
Fort Casey - Battery Kingsbury
Fort Casey Batterie Trevor
Fort Casey - Battery Trevor
Fort Casey Batterie Valleau
Fort Casey - Battery Valleau
Fort Casey Fire Control Station
Fort Casey - Fire Control Station
 

Fort Casey

( Washington State )

Fort Casey was one of the several coast artillery posts established during the late 1890s for the defense of Puget Sound. Together with the heavy batteries of Fort Worden and Fort Flagler, its guns guarded the entrance of Admiralty Inlet, the key point in the fortification system designed to prevent hostile fleet from reaching such prime targets as the Bremerton Navy Yard and the cities of Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia and Everett.

A small detail of troops arrived on the reservation shortly after the completion of the gun emplacements. The first garrison numbered thirty men under the command of Lieutenant A.D. Putnam. Fort Casey was officially activated about 1900 and although its guns were never fired in anger, it remained an integral part of US defense.

In common with other coast defense posts in the West, Fort Casey was the scene of increased military activity during Worl War I. After 1921, the Army entered one of its periods of austerity and Fort Casey was placed upon what amounted to caretaker status. Only a small force was kept at the post to guard and maintain the property. Military activity during World War II consisted largely of training an routine garrison duty. Many of the remaining outmoded coast defense guns were salvaged for scrap purposes in 1942 and 1943.

Fort Casey was closed in 1953 and is part of the Ebey's Landing National Historic Reserve since 1980.

 

Fort Casey faisait partie des postes d'artillerie établis à la fin des années 1890 pour la défense du Puget Sound. En coordination avec les batteries d'artillerie lourde de Fort Worden et Fort Flagler, les canons de For Casey protégeaient l'entrée de l'Admiralty Inlet, le point clé du système de fortification prévu pour prévenir toute attaque d'une flotte ennemie contre les cibles stratégiques qu'étaient les chantiers navals de Bremerton et les villes de Seattle, Tacoma, Olypia et Everett.

Les premières troupes arrivèrent peu après la fin des travaux de construction des batteries. La garnison initiale ne comptait qu'une trentaine d'hommes sous le commandement du Lieutenant A.D. Putnam. Fort Casey a été officiellement activé vers 1900. Il n'eut jamais à subir le baptême du feu mais demeura une part intégrante du système de défense des USA.

L'activité augmenta sensiblement à Fort Casey pendant la Première Guerre Mondiale, mais retomba vite dans une période de calme après 1921, alors que l'US Army entrait dans une période d'austérité. Une garnison réduite fut maintenue pour assurer la maintenance et le gardiennage des installations.

Même la Deuxième Guerre Mondiale ne fit sortir le Fort de sa léthargie, l'activité étant réduite à des exercices de routine. La plupart des pièces d'artillerie complètement démodée furent ferraillées au cours des années 1942 et 1943.

Fort Casey a été fermé par l'US Army en 1953 et fait partie de l'Ebey's Landing National Historic Reserve depuis 1980.

 
Armament
Armement
Batterie Turman
Two 5-inch rifles
Deux canons de 127 mm
Batterie Worth
Two 10-inch rifles on disappearing carriages
Deux canons de 252 mm sur affut escamotables
Batterie Moore
Three 10-inch rifles on disappearing carriages
Trois canons de 252 mm sur affut escamotables
Batterie Kingsbury
Two 10-inch rifles on disappearing carriages
Deux canons de 252 mm sur affut escamotables
Batterie Valleau
Four 6-inch rifles on disappearing carriages
Quatre canons de 152 mm sur affut escamotables
Batterie Trevor
Two 3-inch, rapid-fire rifles
Deux canons à tir rapide de 76 mm
 
Batterie Schenck
Eight 12-inch mortars
Huit mortiers de 304 mm
 
Batterie Seymour
Eight 12-inch mortars
Huit mortiers de 304 mm
 
Batterie Parker
Two 6-inch rifles on disappearing carriages
Deux canons de 152 mm sur affut escamotables
 
Batterie Van Horne
Two 3-inch, rapid-fire rifles
Deux canons à tir rapide de 76 mm
Fire Control Station

Fort Casey vu depuis le ferry vers Port Townsend. Le Centre de Controle de Tir et ses 4 batiments verts est bien visible ainsi que deux emplacements bétonnés de phares de recherche.

Fort Casey seen from the ferry to Port Townsend. The Fire Control Station can be seen with its 4 green buildings as well as two searchlight emplacements.

Emplacement bétonné de phare de recherche vu depuis le ferry.

Searchlight emplacement seen from the ferry.

Une autre vue du fort depuis le ferry montrant le canon de 252mm en position de tir et le phare Admiralty Head.

Another view from from the ferry showing the 10-inch gun in firing position and the Admiralty Head Lighthouse.


Afficher Histoire et Fortifications sur une carte plus grande

Fort Casey's complete armament included :

  • Seven 10-inch rifles on disappearing carriages
  • Sixteen 12-inch mortars
  • Six 6-inch rifles on disappearing carriages
  • Two 5-inch rifles
  • Four 3-inch, rapid-fire rifles

 

L'armement complet de Fort Casey's comportait :

  • Sept canons de 252 mm sur affut escamotables
  • Seize mortiers de 304 mm
  • Six canons de 152 mm sur affut escamotables
  • Deux canons de 127 mm
  • Quatre canons à tir rapide de 76 mm
Batterie Turman

La Batterie Turman était armée de deux canons de 127mm. A l'arrière-plan on apperçoit le phare Admiralty Head contruit en 1903.

The Battery Turman was armed with two 5-inch rifles. The Admiralty Head Lighthouse built in 1903 can be seen in the backround of this picture taken in August 2005.

 
© www.mablehome.com - 2009